Before making any collections make sure that they will be justified and can be submitted to an acceptable ‘Determiner’, to decide the ID’s. If you are not a member of one of the specialist societies first enquiries are possibly best addressed to the British Museum Natural History (BMNH), South Kensington.
Samples should have –
- Well developed capsules
- Colour and habitat notes
- Should contain a minimum of 5 plants, all with main stem intact and undamaged. These should be from a single population, (do not collect at all if this would have an impact on the population).
- If hybridization is suspected collect samples of other taxa in the vicinity.
- Stace (1997) New Flora of the British Isles
- Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society
- Wild Flower Society Magazine