Tuesday 14 November Shorwell to Atherfield

Eight members met at Shorwell parish hall on a dull, overcast morning for a walk across fields to Atherfield. Alan Phillips led the group. Initially walking up Corve Hill – referring to ‘a cutting, gap or pass’ – we turned off on a footpath leading up to Hill Heath with its panoramic views. Vicky Basford, who had helped reconnoitre the walk a few days earlier (but was not able to be present on the day), had identified long linear boundaries in the area, forming boundaries of large closes and indicating poor quality farming in the medieval period. Haslett Farm in the near distance was originally Haresclad in 1294: ‘the valley frequented by hares’, occupied in the 13th century by Robert Carpenter of Hareslade, who administered the lands of the de Insula family of West Court, then called the manor of South Shorwell. The group observed the abandoned Smallmoor buildings, which were occupied in recent living memory.

Eight members met at Shorwell parish hall on a dull, overcast morning for a walk across fields to Atherfield. Alan Phillips led the group. Initially walking up Corve Hill – referring to ‘a cutting, gap or pass’ – we turned off on a footpath leading up to Hill Heath with its panoramic views. Vicky Basford, who had helped reconnoitre the walk a few days earlier (but was not able to be present on the day), had identified long linear boundaries in the area, forming boundaries of large closes and indicating poor quality farming in the medieval period. Haslett Farm in the near distance was originally Haresclad in 1294: ‘the valley frequented by hares’, occupied in the 13th century by Robert Carpenter of Hareslade, who administered the lands of the de Insula family of West Court, then called the manor of South Shorwell. The group observed the abandoned Smallmoor buildings, which were occupied in recent living memory.

About the Author